Unraveling Social Media One Tool at a Time
When I asked the features staff for a way to get our readers involved on our San Jose Mercury News Pinterest page. Bay Area News Group Home & Garden Editor responded immediately: Spring is coming, let’s ask our readers to pin photos of their flowers on the first day of spring. Joan and Online Producer Natalie Martinez quickly went to work:
Here’s how we did it:
1. Created a board for readers to pin their photos.
2. Hit a roadblock. Although Pinterest allows you to open your board for others to pin, the permissions must be given one by one, name by name.
3. Did a workaround. We built a blurb into our website telling readers to email their photos to Joan.
4. Promoted it. Designer Mike Mayer created a print promo for the top of Page 1, combining it with our Happy Spring greeting. We also did the usual: Twitter, Google + and Facebook.
5. Click Here to see what it looks like.
The photos are still rolling in. Happy Spring!